Student Activities Reimbursement Program
You spoke and we listened! Parents and students have been asking for more opportunities to have activities outside of the standard curriculum offerings. Starting with the 2018-2019 BWA will offer a $90 stipend per each full time student once a year up to 800 students. Here are the current resources for the program. The intent is to cover structured activity opportunities to supplement coursework by providing opportunities for team play, social interaction, and personal development.
- Waiver Form- Waiver to receive funds
- Application- this is designed as a reimbursement program, your family makes the purchase and sends to our main office for reimbursement- 2725 7th St, Baker City, OR 97814.
- Currently approved activities: sports fees, music lessons, theatre fees, gym fees, and zoo/museum memberships
*We are accepting applications for the 2018-2019 school year for use of funds
Baker Charter Schools are committed to providing a well rounded educational and social experience for our students. We participated with other charter school leaders in the 2016-2017 to create a new law allowing all charter school students to participate in interscholastic activities at their resident district. In 2017-2018 that law was expanded upon allowing all students K-12 access to interscholastic activities at their resident district. There are several key details students should understand about this program.
- Participation- Resident districts schools cannot deny students the ability to participate in interscholastic activities
- Activities- Currently activities in grades 9-12 are limited to OSAA sponsored activities such as sports, band, and choir where the school participates in competitions with other OSAA schools. Grades K-8 may participate in before/after school programs that are available.
- Eligibility- Students must meet eligibility requirements of their resident district and should be enrolled in a full time schedule 6/6 web academy classes and 12 college credits in Baker Web/Early College.
- Fees- Baker Charter Schools will pay a fee to the district upon being invoiced so there is no charge to the families for participating. If there is a fee for all students to play/participate the families must cover that cost. Pay close attention to fees charged to be sure your student is not treated differently than resident students.
- Notification Form- Please fill out this notification to BCS that you plan to participate in this program
In the 2017-2018 school year BEC was approved for NCAA transfer students. Since all the classes are taken at the community colleges, students use those classes to be elligible to transfer to NCAA schools.
BWA was not approved but may reapply in April of 2019. Since we had to change a policy to qualify we had to wait a year to reapply after the policy was changed. After our appeal in 2019 we should be able to have students transfer to NCAA schools. Here are some details about how this program works.
- Students can work in the following core education programs: Florida Virtual School, Odyssey Ware, ALEKS, Edynamics or Edgenuity.
- Independent Study, Work Experience, and Credit by Proficiency courses may not count towards graduation for NCAA transfer students.
- Students must work at least 45 hours in a course in order to receive credit for NCAA transfer.
- Students will need to complete DBA (Discussion Based Assessments) in the FLVS courses.