What is Credit by Proficiency?
Credit by proficiency is designed to give students an option to demonstrate mastery of knowledge. It is not for instruction but demonstration of knowledge. For example if a student took Algebra 1 in Saxon before coming to our school and wants to do credit by proficiency they can take the Algebra Semester 1 test in Odyssey Ware to receive a 0.5 credit and the semester 2 test for another 0.5. Alternatively the student can just take the final for 1.0 credit.
- Student must have taken the class or been exposed to the content prior to taking a test
- A student will get 3 attempts to pass with 80% on the test
- Tests are available in core content areas only
- Credit by Proficiency is the only way to get credit from non-accredited work prior to or during your time with Baker Charter Schools (both BWA and BEC).
For other options to gain credit students may consider Credit Recovery (retaking a failed class but do partial work) or CLEP (College Level Examination Program) at local colleges.
- Math– Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2
- Language Arts- English 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Science– Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Integrated Physics and Chemistry, and Physics
- Social Science– Economics, Government, US History Foundations to Present, US History Reconstruction to Present, World Geography, World History
To set up a credit by proficiency option please contact your Advisory Teacher or counselor.